Sam Pope’s Olive and Rosemary Foccacia
Delicious as dipping bread
450g plain flour
2 tsp salt
30g fresh yeast
1 tsp sugar
100 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 sticks of rosemary
100g kalamata olives
polenta for dusting
- Combine the yeast with the sugar and half a cup of warm water. Leave for 15 mins to froth up.
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the yeast mixture, 3-4 tbsps of olive oil and enough water to form a soft dough
- Tip onto a floured surface and knead for 10-15 mins until the dough springs back to the touch. Cover with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place to rise for about 1½hrs.
- Remove from bowl and knead again for 5 mins. Roll into a flat oval on a floured tray and leave to rise again for a further 40 mins.
- Preheat oven with a pizza stone to 225°c.
- Flatten the dough using the fingertips of both hands to create deep holes in the dough, drizzle the olive oil into the holes. Scatter rosemary over the top and chopped olives and sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
- Sprinkle polenta onto the pizza stone, slide loaf on to it and bake for 20-25 mins until browned and sounds hollow when the bottom is tapped.
Serve with Olea Estate Extra virgin olive oil for dipping.